A dental crown is a tooth shaped cap / cover that is placed over a broken or otherwise damaged tooth to restore it to its original shape and appearance. They strengthen and protect the tooth structure when it can’t be restored with dental fillings.
When does one need a Dental Crown?
- To restore broken or decayed teeth.
- To reinforce a root canal treated teeth.
- Crowns will be precisely sized and shade matched with the adjacent teeth.
- To restore a dental implant with a cap.
- To cover and strengthen a tooth where there is a large filling and very little tooth structure remaining.
- Strengthen the ability to chew food properly
- Long-lasting solution with properly maintained oral hygiene
Dental Crown Procedure
1. During this procedure, our dentist gently prepares the affected tooth and makes an impression of the prepared teeth.
2. After this we send the impression to the dental laboratory.
3. Till the final finished crown comes back from the lab, we provide a well fitted temporary crown to the patient.
4. Once the completed customized crown is received from the lab, it is fitted/cemented to the prepared tooth.
TYPES OF DENTAL CROWNS
- Metal dental crowns may consist of gold alloy or palladium – all of these are biocompatible and durable. Due to the metallic color of these dental crowns, they are better suited for repairing posterior (back) teeth.
- Ceramic dental crowns offer a natural tooth like appearance and are mainly indicated to restore anterior (front) teeth.
- Porcelain dental crowns are better visually appealing than metal dental crowns. Porcelain is combined with a metal crown shell, resulting in an opaque appearance.
- Zirconia crowns exhibit exceptional durability and strength as they can withstand the substantial pressure put on the molar teeth. Their white color and translucent property help them in blend in seamlessly with the surrounding teeth.
Dental Crowns are the tooth component that attaches to Dental Implants. Consider Dental Crowns to protect inner pulp of teeth as well as improve the form and function of your smile. Our dental specialist, Dr. MariaElena Rodriguez, performs Dental Crown procedures in Torrance, CA. Call us @ (310) 378-9261.